Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Court Cases I am interested in

The United States v. Alvarez case interests me. The term is to last from 2010 to 2019. I am interested in this one because the issue is about lying and deceiving, something that everybody does. The question is, is lying a violation of the Free speech clause of the First Amendment and should he be protected under the Free speech clause? I believe that that it does violate it and that he should be punished. He is taking someones hard work and medals that they earned for himself, although he has done nothing.

My second court case that interested me was the Alaska v. United States. The arguement lasted from Jan. 10, 2005 until June 06, 2005. It interested me because I would have not thought there would be a conflict with Alaska and the United States about land. Alaska and the United States argued about who should have ownership of the two submerged lands three miles away from the United States. The court ruled that it belongs to the federal government because they were not inland waters.

The last court case that interested me was the Beneficial National Bank v. Anderson. This lasted from April 30, 2003 until June 02, 2003. This interested me because it reminded me of McCullough v. Maryland about how the bank was complaining about excessive tax. Customers said the bank was charging excessive interest and that it was in violation of Alabama State law. The bank wanted to be heard under Federal Court instead of a State court because the issues were covered under the National Bank Act, a federal act. The court case was ruled under a Federal Court and held that the National Bank Act preempted the state-law claim and provided the exclusive cause of action for usury claims against national banks.

1 comment:

  1. I like what you pointed out in your first case. What i wonder is how do you exactly define a lie. Is it withholding information, or feeding the wrong information? Is it a lie if the person really thinks what he or she is saying is correct?

    ReplyDelete